Living In The White House
WE ALL KNOW MY OBSESSION WITH WHITE. INTERIORS, EXTERIORS, FURNITURE YOU NAME IT, BUT HAVING SUCH A WHITE HOUSE OBSESSION COME WITH A HELL OF A LOT OF CLEANING!
HERE ARE SOME OF MY PERSONAL TIPS ON LIVING IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND KEEPING IT CLEAN!
Walking through our freshly painted home with it’s white walls, glossy white doors and skirting boards brings back that aaahhh feeling. You know, the feeling of something looking and smelling brand new (fresh paint), everything looking blindingly white, crisp, clean and fresh. It’s actually amazing how the weeks, months, years go by and suddenly those white walls aren’t looking so crisp and clean. Before you get started on embarking on an all white house there are a few things that may help you maintain the fresh, white look.
GETTING IT RIGHT BEFORE YOU START?
- When choosing your paint go with a semi gloss for the walls and a gloss for the doors, frames and skirting boards. This really helps with maintaining and keeping things clean in the long run. Anything with a mat finish is much harder to clean and keep clean.
- When white on white may be too white? – I prefer to break up the white with touches of black, grey, natural materials and greenery. E.G A black handle on a white door is so striking. Bits and pieces of natural wood E.G beams on the roof, shelving are also great statement pieces and ways to break up all that white.
- Go for sleek Glossy cabinets (2 Pac) rather than matt or something that is rough. – These are so much easier to clean, keep clean and don’t tend to stain or turn yellowish they keep their white.
- White tiles are amazing and the pattern choices are endless. Instead of going for a white tile with white grout break this up with a light or dark grey colour instead. – This not only allows you to see the pattern but grey gout is so much easer to keep clean without having to bleach it every week. It also doesn’t seem to stain so it keeps your bathroom or splash back looking brand new!
Now that you have your design down pat and decided on the better option of materials to use in your white home its all about maintaining that fresh, white on white look.
CLEANING TIPS TO KEEP YOUR WHITE HOME WHITE:-
1) Maintaining your home on a Regular Basis is much easier than booking in a major Spring Clean, although both of these options can work fine.
2) See a spot or drip wipe it up straight away! It takes one quick wipe and you can prevent a stain appearing on you brand new, white marble kitchen bench.
3) Keep a cleaning kit in each bathroom and in the kitchen can make all the difference in maintaining that beautiful new look and feel. With the equipment at your fingertips you are less likely to walk away and leave the cleaning to another day.
4) Get your own NEST Happy Housekeeper!